The group on the Marriott Marquis throughout Dragon Con 2019
by Matt Walljasper
One other Dragon Con is within the books and downtown has returned to regular after roughly 85,000 followers descended to point out off their greatest costumes and have fun all issues geek. Within the 4 days we spent the conference flooring (strolling practically 30 miles, in keeping with our telephones), listed here are a few of the issues we seen.
Costumes (and tendencies) by the numbers:
144 characters from Netflix’s Stranger Issues, the most important cosplay outpouring we’ve ever seen for the metro Atlanta-filmed present, which premiered its third season on July four. Many of the costumes had been impressed by season three—Eleven’s geometric romper, Hopper’s pastel J.C. Penney button-up, and naturally . . .
72 individuals dressed as Steve and Robin of their Scoops Ahoy uniforms, and that definitely wasn’t all of them. The blue-and-white sailor swimsuit was arguably the most well-liked costume on the conference; it was even became a meme.
42 characters particularly from Avengers: Endgame, 20 of which had been the matted “Dude” Thor from the movie’s second act. (Solely 5 of the Thors we noticed carried a can of Tropicalia, because the God of Thunder truly did within the film.)
6 individuals dressed as Darkish Rey, recent from the brand new Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker trailer that debuted final week. (Talking of Star Wars, Slave Leia, as soon as a conference cosplay staple, has decreased immensely in recognition. We noticed a ton of Reys and Leias in different outfits, however solely two sporting the notorious gold bikini. In distinction, we noticed 22 in 2014.)
6 individuals dressed because the late, nice Mr. Rogers
5 individuals dressed as Flavortown Mayor Man Fieri
eight characters from Amazon’s Good Omens sequence, which seemingly acquired a lift from star David Tennant attending the conference this yr
25 Cult of Marriott Carpet outfits
21 inflatable T-Rexes, which had been as entertaining as ever on the dance flooring
three individuals dressed as Walt Disney, all of whom had a toy Mickey Mouse in tow
three individuals dressed as Sport of Thrones‘s Daenerys along with her dragon, Drogon. Due to the broadly panned sequence finale, GoT cosplay was approach down this yr, however we nonetheless noticed a great quantity of oldsters from Westeros.
19 transportable Bluetooth audio system
16 service canine and 1 cat
four damaged escalators (all of which had been fastened fairly shortly)
2 individuals carrying Orlando Metropolis soccer jerseys, by far essentially the most offensive outfit
Pictures: Try the total gallery of our favourite costumes right here.
We additionally seen:
• A surprisingly small quantity of individuals carrying Space 51 raid-themed outfits, solely about six or so. Web memes usually have a powerful exhibiting at Dragon Con, however apparently this one had already (Naruto) run its course.
• There was a bar arrange beneath the Marriott Marquis’s Pulse lounge dedicated to promoting Tropicália, encouraging Avengers followers to “drink just like the gods.” This was an important alternative for out-of-town followers to study that the beer Thor drinks is certainly actual and made proper right here in Georgia by Creature Comforts.
• In response to Dragon Con officers, attendance jumped up to 85,000 after holding regular at 80,000 for the previous two years. Fortunately, for no matter motive, this didn’t result in a extra jam-packed feeling on the conference flooring.
• For the second yr in a row, Dragon Con’s Atlanta United trustworthy turned out for Saturday’s away match in opposition to Philadelphia on Saturday night, main a march from the Westin to the Hyatt, the place they gathered to observe the sport on the resort’s Twenty-Two Storys bar. The group was primarily a mini supporter’s part, with flags produced from recycled tifo foils, a plastic crate-turned-drum to maintain the beat throughout chants, and even an inflatable T-Rex wearing a customized “equipment” produced from a black t-shirt and duct tape.
• You may not have acknowledged him in his cosplay of Leroy Smith, a soon-to-be-released downloadable fighter for Tekken 7, however T-Ache attended Dragon Con this yr alongside together with his daughter, who sported Purple Useless Redemption cosplay. The rapper, who can also be a Twitch streamer, posted a number of movies and pictures to Instagram documenting his expertise.
• A brand new character has joined Dragon Con lore, Jon the FedEx Supply Man. Jon was a cardboard cut-out that stood within the hallway that connects the Peachtree Heart meals court docket to the Marriott, promoting the resort’s FedEx transport middle. On Thursday, the primary day of the conference, somebody caught a pair of plastic googly eyes on the cut-out. By Friday night, Jon had picked up a couple of stickers, a pair of bunny ears, and a path of faux blood working from his mouth. However by Sunday night time, Jon reached his closing kind, sporting a yellow floral lei, a handlebar mustache and a unibrow, and numerous stickers and badge ribbons. Jon had disappeared by Monday morning, however the cut-out turned so common that we absolutely count on to see Jon cosplayers subsequent yr.
Jon’s descent into insanity.
Pictures by Myrydd Wells
• Talking of badge ribbons, whereas the little flags that cling from the underside of conference badges will not be new, they’ve surged in recognition, with some conference goers this yr sporting a prepare of ribbons taller than they had been. Many followers order customized ribbons previous to the con and distribute them free of charge as a collectable—even the con’s official charity for this yr, the American Coronary heart Affiliation, gave out their very own ribbons. (If you wish to study extra about them, there’s a Fb group: Dragon Con Loyal Order of the Ribbon.)
• As if the Sheraton didn’t have a nasty sufficient yr already, a small speaker fireplace throughout an Aly & AJ live performance prompted a partial evacuation of the resort on Saturday night time. (And in true Dragon Con trend, anyone dressed because the speaker the following day.)
• For the primary time that we will recall, the Marriott turned a number of multi-stall bogs into gender-neutral bogs all through the conference. As Dragon Con strives to be an inclusive area for all followers, it was nice to see this addition.
• Sadly, the beloved Girl Olenna cosplayer, who beforehand attended the conference in an iron throne-decorated wheelchair whereas sporting “cope with it” shades, has died, in keeping with a put up shared on the official Dragon Con Fb web page. Her wheelchair was adorned with a wreath and marched within the parade as a tribute.
(Costume statistics are approximated and don’t embody the parade.)